Has another week passed you by with nary a fleeting glance at the weird and wonderful world of online content? Get the goss with another handy installment of Keeping up with the Kontentsphere.
GOLRIZ GHAHRAMAN SAGA
Who has had the best take on the not-exactly-new news that prior to becoming a Green MP, Golriz Ghahraman worked as a defence lawyer at war crimes tribunals in Rwanda? Was it:
- Phil Quin calling her a genocide denier and then saying he hadn’t called her a genocide denier and then apologising for calling her a genocide denier?
- Barry Soper arguing that she is not “the battler she's been painted as”?
- Mike Hosking calling her the “defender of the world's worst”?
- Duncan Garner saying she "allowed herself to be painted as an angel" while “actually defending evil”?
life comes at you fast, etc pic.twitter.com/BPhwSeMXF0— Joshua Drummond (@joshua_drummond) November 29, 2017
- Me saying please for the love of god can we shut up about this now and also put a cap on how many bad op-eds can be written about the same damn thing?
I couldn't possibly decide.
KIM DOTCOM TO WED
We finally know the date of the most important wedding of 2018! No not that wedding - the wedding of eccentric 43-year-old German Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his 23-year-old uni-student girlfriend Elizabeth Donnelly!
BROOKE FRASER’S SECRET GRAMMY NOM
So while we were distracted by the news that Lorde has been nominated for *another* Grammy, Brooke Fraser very quietly received her first nod in the Best Christian Contemporary Music Performance/Song category under her married name Brooke Ligertwood.
The song, titled ‘What a Beautiful Name’ was co-written by Fraser with Ben Fielding for Hillsong Church, which boasts Justin Bieber as a member and is the subject of this incredible feature (trust me).
In another edition of "I can’t believe these eccentric old white lady millionaires aren’t very woke", Real Housewife of Auckland Anne Batley Burton (the champagne one) has expressed her sympathy for soiled sports broadcaster Tony Veitch, saying that she thinks he deserves a second chance.
Burton made the remarks to RadioLIVE in a strange, sad chat during which she described the abusive behaviour of an ex-boyfriend who was “so lovely, so charming, so caring” but would “just absolutely fly off the handle” when he drank.
I mean, I disagree about us all forgiving Veitch (not today, Satan) but I also think we should listen to victims of abuse when they are brave enough to talk about it.
SECRET SANTA HILARY BARRY
Whoever got Hilary “best person in New Zealand” Barry as their Secret Santa: may God help you find a gift worthy of this glorious woman.